Passenger Code of Conduct
The Napa Valley Transportation Authority (NVTA) is committed to providing a safe and pleasant environment for all of its passengers. The Code of Conduct policy is intended to provide guidelines to users of Napa County's public transit systems and facilities.
We ask that riders observe the transit system’s rules when on the bus, and while visiting other NVTA properties, including the Soscol Gateway Transit Center, Park and Ride lots and bus stops. When a passenger’s behaviour becomes disruptive, is a persistent nuisance to other riders, drivers, or bus system staff, or threatens the safety of the system, NVTA or its contractor may take action to remove the person from NVTA property and/or restrict them from using the service in the future. Certain behaviours may lead to arrest and conviction.
Please be aware that NVTA monitors the Transit system with video surveillance equipment. Video tapes may be used to prosecute an individual and/or restrict them from entering onto NVTA’s property.
The following passenger policies pertain to NVTA buses and facilities.
Prohibited Items include but may not be limited to the following:
- Hazardous materials such as flammable substances or corrosive agents, etc.
- Illegal drugs, paraphernalia, or alcohol
- Weapons such as firearms, knives, etc.
- Bulky materials that cannot safely be carried or kept under the control of the passenger Items cannot take up passenger seating
- Open beverage or food containers
- Pets that are not in an approved carrier with the exception of trained service animals
Shirt, footwear and personal hygiene
- Footwear and shirts must be worn while on NVTA property
- Personal hygiene must be maintained in a manner that does not result in offensive odor
Eating, Drinking, and Other On-board Considerations
- Eating is prohibited on the bus - any trash should be removed by the passenger when exiting the vehicle
- Passengers may bring beverages in a spill proof container, such as a screw-top bottle or a cup with secure lid; excluding alcohol. All other containers are prohibited
- Music kept at an acceptable level with the use of headphones is allowed -levels that disrupt the safety of the driver will not be permitted
- Children are to be removed from strollers and the stroller stowed and out of the aisle
Prohibited Behavior includes but is not limited to the following:
- Vulgar language and gestures
- Physical violence, harassment, threats etc.
- Indecent exposure
- Blocking the aisle, stairwell, and passenger seat
- Smoking on the bus, at bus stops, and at the Transit Center or other passenger facilities
- Throwing objects from the bus
- Hanging things outside the windows of the bus, including passengers’ hands, arms etc.
- Putting feet or shoes on the bus seats or benches on NVTA facilities
How you can help
- If you see a problem on the bus, tell the driver
- If there is a medical emergency, a threat or serious crime being committed and you cannot safely communicate this to the driver, call 911 to report the problem to the police
- Be prepared to give the bus number, location and direction of travel
We appreciate your help in keeping our system safe and secure for all to enjoy.