Frequently Asked Questions





- What is VINE Transit?

VINE Transit is a local government agency that operates the county’s public transit system under the oversight of the Napa County Transportation and Planning Agency Board of Director’s. NCTPA and VINE Transit are separate from both the city and county. Click here for a list of Board members. The NCTPA Board of Director’s typically meets on the third Wednesday of each month at 1:30pm at 625 Burnell St. in Napa. The meetings are open to the public and a portion of the meeting is dedicated to receiving public comment. Click here for meeting dates, minutes and agendas.


- How much does it cost to ride VINE Transit?

   - A local route (Routes 1-11) on VINE Transit is $1.50 per adult with youths and seniors paying a reduced fare. 

   - Commuter routes such as the Express Route 29 will cost a little more per trip depending on the distance. 

   - Community Shuttle in American Canyon, Calistoga are $1.  

   - Rides on the St. Helena VINE is 65¢ while rides on the Yountville Trolley are free! Click here for fares. 

   - Exact fare is required on all buses.  All fares are non-refundable.  Drivers cannot make change.


- Who qualifies for a reduced fare? 

Seniors age 65 or older qualify or persons with a qualifying doctor-verified disability. If you have a Motor Vehicles disability ID card, you can show your ID card to buy a reduced bus pass or a reduced bus fare. You can also qualify to purchase reduced bus fare if you have a The Regional Transit Connection Discount Card, or a Medicare Card, just show your card when purchasing the fare or passes.  If you would like to purchase reduced bus passes onilne, you must first submit an application. Please submit registration form and proof of age, doctor’s note regarding disability, or a valid Medicare card.


- What is a transfer?

A transfer is a pass card the driver will give you, if you ask for it when you board and pay your cash fare. It will allow you to board another VINE Transit bus without paying an additional fare if you board before the time shown on the transfer. Transfers are not valid between Route 10 and 11 and is only good for a single use.


- How long are transfers good for? 

Transfers are issued at the time of boarding with the exception of routes 10 and 11 and are good for 1 hour from the time they are issued.


- Are transfers good on Express or Intercity Routes? 

Yes. However, Express and Intercity Routes may charge a higher fare than local routes. You will need to pay the difference for riding on an Express or Intercity Route if required.


- Where can I purchase bus passes?

Bus passes can be purchased at the Soscol Gateway Transit Center, 625 Burnell St., Napa, CA and online here. You can also purchase passes at American Canyon Recreation Department, 100 Benton Way, American Canyon, CA.


- What's the difference between a monthly pass and a 31-day pass? 

A monthly pass expires at the end of the month. A 31-day pass is a rolling month pass valid 31 consecutive days from first day of use.


- Can I use CLIPPER on VINE Transit? 

Not yet. You will be able to use CLIPPER cards on VINE Transit by late 2014.


- Can I bring my bike on VINE Transit buses? 

Yes. All VINE Transit fixed route vehicles have bicycle racks. And of course, bikes ride free!


- Can I leave my bike at a Transit Center or Park & Ride when I ride the bus? 

Yes, but VINE Transit assumes no responsibility for bikes stolen or damaged. We strongly recommend locking your bike to a rack or renting a locker. Lockers are available at the Redwood Park and Ride lot and soon at the Soscol Gateway Transit.

- Are VINE buses ADA/wheelchair accessible?

All VINE Transit vehicles are compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) for wheelchair and other mobliity challenged passengers.


- What is VINE Go Paratransit?

VINE Go is an origin to destination, shared ride service which provides demand response, door-to-door,  transportation to persons with disabilities in the cities of Calistoga, St. Helena, Napa, American Canyon, the Town of Yountville and the unincorporated areas of Napa County. Click here for more information.


- How do I apply for VINE Go?

We can mail you an application if you contact us with this request, or you can stop by our office located at 625 Burnell St. in Napa for an application form. You can also download the application from our website here.   


- Does VINE Transit connect with ferries that cross San Francisco Bay? 

VINE Route 11 stops at the SF Ferry Terminal in Vallejo daily and VINE Express Route 29 during the morning, midday and evening commutes.


- Why don't all buses connect at the Soscol Gateway Transit Center in Downtown Napa? 

To provide the best service to our transit riding community, not all routes need to run to the Soscol Gateway Transit Center. Passengers on Route 6 and Route 7 can transfer to other routes that will arrive at the Transit Center.


- There are a lot of dashes (---) on many schedules on your website, and in your maps?

A dash under a timepoint means the bus does not serve that particular stop on that trip.


- Why do I see so many empty buses on the road? 

An empty or almost-empty bus may indicate a route with low ridership; often, however, you're seeing the bus at either the beginning or the end of its run (that is, before gathering most of its passengers, or after dropping most of them off). And even our most popular routes tend to see lower ridership before and after the peak commuting hours in the morning and evening.


- Do you use smaller buses on routes with low ridership? 

We have a number of smaller buses for use where practicable. However, in our system, buses circulate among routes; after finishing a low-ridership route, a bus may immediately go on to serve one of our more popular routes. As far as expense is concerned, the cost of the fuel saved by using smaller vehicles is offset by our more rugged and reliable (and, therefore, less expensive to maintain) larger vehicles.


- How many bags can I take aboard on Intercity Bus Routes? 

Common sense is really the only guide; as long as they don't block the aisles or take up seat space, take as many pieces of luggage as you think you can comfortably handle.


- I lost an item on the bus. How do I get it back? 

Lost & Found is located in the Soscol Gateway Transit Center Ticket Office located at 625 Burnell St. in Napa. If making a special trip to pick up an item, please call ahead to verify availability: (707) 251-2800.


- How can I make a compliment or complaint about VINE Transit? 

At VINE Transit, we are always looking for ways to improve our service. We greatly appreciate all feedback received from passengers, visitors, and anyone who wants to let us know how we are doing. You may get a Comment Card from VINE Transit drivers or send a message in our Contact Us page.


- Who do I contact if I see suspicious or downright criminal behavior on the bus or other transit property?

If it's an emergency, call 911. Otherwise, call your local police or sheriff's department to report the incident.


- Who do I contact if I want to advertise my business with the VINE?

The VINE buses have billboards on the outside walls dedicated for advertisement, click here for more information. 


- How can I visit the Soscol Gateway Transit Center or NCTPA's administrative offices? where do I park? locate the ticket office?

Our new transit center is located at 625 Burnell St. near downtown Napa just off Third St. The VINE Transit customer service office is located on the first floor near the east side of the building in the breezeway. The NCTPA administrative offices are located on the second floor of the building, accessible by the lobby stairs or elevator. When visiting us, picking up or dropping off passengers, please use  our parking lot located on the west side of the building just off Fourth Street.

Please note: For the safety of our transit passengers and visitors,  there is no automobile or taxi access in the front side of the building in the bus terminal area. That location is for buses and bus operations only. We thank you for your consideration.